How to contact us about privacy
Your privacy is very important to us. For that reason, please read the following details carefully and get in contact with us if you have any questions. You can contact us on:
The Executive Director
PO Box 632
P: +64 9 303 4515
F: +64 9 303 4516.
Collection and Purpose
The NZBA collects personal information through:
- membership registration (online and offline)
- online Find a Barrister profile
- direct contact with members online (ie CPD session registration)
- direct contact with members offline
- the internal Customer Relationship Management database (Member Evolution)
- the provision of member benefits programmes.
In addition, we may also collect cookies from your computer, which enable us to tell when you use the Site and also to help customise your website experience.
The NZBA collects personal information to:
- process registration of members
- identify, create and provide membership services and benefits
- maintain membership records
- identify, create and provide services to legal practitioners, law practices, persons or bodies involved in the practice of law and members of the public
- establish and operate continuing professional development programmes
- establish user/customer accounts for legal practitioners, law practices, persons, bodies, corporations or other legal entities accessing and/or using services, directories or information provided by the NZBA through its website or other programmes operated or managed by the NZBA.
Please note that some provision of personal information is optional on the Site, however, if you do not provide us with certain types of personal information, you may be unable to enjoy the full functionality of the Site.
We customarily disclose personal information only to our service providers who assist us in operating the Site. We may disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in good faith that such action is necessary to protect and defend our rights and property.
We will only disclose personal information to an unrelated third party with your consent.
You may request the deletion or amendment of your personal information held by us at any time, but subject to any other obligations you may be committed to with us.
Publication of photographs taken at events
We publish photographs of people attending events and some of these photographs appear in our quarterly newsletter At the Bar and other NZBA publications. If you attend the event but do not wish to have your photograph taken, please advise the photographer. If you permit yourself to be photographed, we understand that you consent to publication of your photograph in an appropriate manner.
Access and correction
Access to information held about you and correction of that information is governed the Information privacy principles as set out in section 6 Privacy Act 1993. If you would like to obtain such access, please contact us on the details set out above.
When using the NZBA website, you should be aware that no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Although the NZBA takes all practical and reasonable steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, the NZBA does not warrant the security of any information transmitted to it over the internet. Any information transmitted to the NZBA over the internet is done so at the risk of the person or organisation transmitting the information.