World Bar Conference 2018
The International Council of Advocates and Barristers (ICAB) invites NZBA members to attend the World Bar Conference 2018. ICAB is the forum for members of independent referral bars around the world. The 2018 World Bar Conference will be held in South Africa, at Stellenbosch, a picturesque town situated in the Cape wine lands some 40 minutes’ drive from Cape Town.
The issues which are to be explored at SA WBC 2018 have been chosen for their topicality. Some have an “African” flavour. Others reflect broader issues of interest or concern to the referral Bar and Bench. They include:
- Constitutional democracy in South Africa: How has it fared after 25 years?
- Race and gender transformation of the Bar and Bench:
- Is an all-black Bar the answer?
- The gender battle: Political correctness, or a necessary assault on male privilege?
- Will Rexit follow Brexit? Is there an African case for leaving the Treaty of Rome?
- Regulation of the Bars: An international report card.
- Choosing the Judges: The controversy continues.
- The separation of powers: Can Judges (and ombuds) overreach? A comparison of experiences.
- The corrosion of attorney/client privilege: How real is the threat?
- Is IT the last frontier for Bar and Bench?
- ADR: Developments in the past few years.
Those who wish to attend the conference are urged to register as soon as possible in order to avoid disappointment. Numbers are limited, and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis. For those who register promptly, the full conference package will cost just R9 999 (at current exchange rates, the equivalent of approximately £535, €600, AUD900 or NZD1 000) for seniors, and R7 999 for juniors (less than 5 years’ call).
For more information, visit the Conference webpage or refer to the attached Brochure.