The NZBA committees comprise members of the Bar Council and other NZBA members. If you are interested in serving on a committee(s), please contact NZBA Secretariat
This committee focuses on law reform. It is involved in reviewing and monitoring legislation, liaising with the MOJ, courts, and other stakeholders. It is also involved in addressing access to justice initiatives.
Learn about the members of the Advocacy Committee.
Te Ao Māori Komiti
This committee has been created to promote, across all activities, te reo Māori, tikanga Māori, and te Triti o Waitangi
Learn more about the members of Te Ao Māori Committee
Commercial Bar Committee
Commercial barristers are specialist lawyers who advise on complex commercial and public law matters. The committee informs and advises the NZBA council on matters relevant to members of the Commercial Bar.
Learn more about members of this committee and its members.
The Criminal Committee committee:
- considers issues related to the administration of criminal justice;
- assists the Council and Secretariat with public comments on matters that will affect both members and the wider public;
- works on law reform issues; and
- consults with the Education Committee, and in particular its training sub-committee, on training for members of the criminal bar.
Learn about the members of this committee.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee seeks to advance the NZBA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. It:
- identifies people who as a group may be under-represented at the Bar;
- promotes inclusiveness at the Bar regardless of gender, ethnicity, culture, and physical ability;
- develops and reviews policies and initiatives to increase diversity and inclusion;
- promotes policy changes and initiatives across the wider profession; and
- raises awareness of and sensitivity in respect of cultural, ethnicity, gender, and physical needs or issues.
Learn more about the members of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Our Education committee organises webinars, training, online resources, and the annual conference. It promotes the development of advocacy skills and other training relevant to the independent bar.
Learn more about the members of the Education Committee.
Employment Law and Privacy Committee
Our Employment Law and Privacy Committee has been established to enhance and develop NZBA’s application and offering to barristers working in the area of Employment Law, Privacy, and related areas like Human Rights.
Learn more about the members of the Employment Law and Privacy Committee.
Family Law Committee
Our Family Law Committee considers the needs of family barristers and how the Association can support their practice at the bar.
Learn about the members of the Family Law Committee.
Management Committee monitors and assists with the day-to-day running of the Association.
Learn about the members of the Management Committee.
Membership and Wellbeing Committee
This committee is involved in the Association's mentoring programme, collegiality events, mental health support, resources, and member benefits.
Learn about the members of the Membership Committee.